Establishing A Guardianship In Virginia

Are you concerned about the health of your parent or grandparent? Are they no longer able to live on their own? You have options available. From his office in Williamsburg, attorney Paul S. Ward can help you obtain adult guardianship of your loved one. By acting today, you can ensure that your parent is taken care of properly.

As a certified elder law attorney*, Paul S. Ward understands the challenges that face people as they grow older and how these concerns affect their families as well. With over two decades of experience helping families obtain adult guardianship of their loved ones, he can help you know what to expect during guardianship proceedings.

Determining Adult Guardianship

If you are concerned about the future security of your loved one, you want to make sure a trusted person is managing their financial assets and making appropriate health care decisions for them. You will have to go to court in order to obtain guardianship rights. Once the probate court has determined that your loved one is incapacitated, it will designate a guardian for them. You can prevent you family from having to petition for guardianship over you should you become incapacitated in the future by developing a well-crafted power of attorney or trust.

Types of Adult Guardianships

Attorney Paul S. Ward helps a variety of people obtain guardianship of their loved ones. From sons and daughters to nieces, nephews, brothers, and sisters, there are multiple ways in which he can help. Guardianship of the estate will give the guardian powers over financial decisions and asset management. If you obtain guardianship of the person, you are in charge of medical decisions. The guardian of the estate and the guardian of the person do not have to be the same person.

Contested Guardianships

When people in the same family have differing opinions as to what is best for their loved one, there may be a contested guardianship. Paul S. Ward can help you protect your rights and the rights of your loved one in court. You can avoid a messy contested guardianship dispute in the event of your incapacity by developing a plan for such events in your will or trust.

When you want to protect your loved one by obtaining adult guardianship, an experienced and certified elder law attorney can help. From his offices in Williamsburg, attorney Paul S. Ward has been helping people like you for over two decades.